Brotli is a new compressed data format developed by Google for compressing web data. It is documented in RFC7932. Currently, almost all modern web browser support Brotli which compressed better and faster than Deflate.
Brotli is can be enabled in most popular web server including:
- Apache HTTPD – through mod_brotli (for release after 2.4.26)
- Nginx – ngx_brotli (provided by Google)
- Node.js (trough shrink-ray module
- LightSpeed (since version 5.2)
- Microsoft IIS (through IIS-brotli extension, for IIS 7.5 and above)
Testing for Brotli Support
KeyCDN.com has provided a tool for testing whether your website supports Brotli compression.
You can go over the website and get your server tested. For nginx webserver, ngx_brotli will automatically downgrade to gzip if the browser does not support brotli encoding