Though I’ve used Ubuntu since 2005 and it has been my Linux distro of choice, I prefer to use Debian GNU/Linux for running web server on my VPS or a server at work. Why? because:
- Debian is quicker to install
- Debian is lightweight / uses less memory / feels faster
- Debian doesn’t install XWindows by default
- Debian feels more ‘hands-on’
- Debian has the largest software repository
Although I recognize the *BSD is the best open source operating system for setting up a php/mysql web server, I still prefer Debian as my server operating system for its simplicity, besides… *BSD hates me… :)
p/s: I’m getting annoyed with Ubuntu Unity and GNOME Shell which I perceive as not only counter-productive, but also hogs the RAM and processor power. my netbook battery lasts 20minutes longer with Debian on LXDE.