Unity 6.x (included by default in Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal) features performance improvements and new features on the Unity 3D user-interface as several bug fixes which enhances user experience while using Ubuntu desktop. Besides that, the backport also improve the performance of low-end 3d cards when rendering unity animations.
Use these command to install Unity 6.x backports into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:benkai/precise-unity-backport sudo apt-get update sudo aptitude remove unity-lens-applications sudo aptitude install unity wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/benkai/precise-unity-backport/ubuntu/pool/main/u/unity-lens-applications/unity-lens-applications_6.4.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb or wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/benkai/precise-unity-backport/ubuntu/pool/main/u/unity-lens-applications/unity-lens-applications_6.4.0-0ubuntu2_i386.deb sudo dpkg -i unity-lens-applications_6.4.0-0ubuntu2_*.deb
The unity backport may cause stability issues with Nouveau (nVidia Accelerated Open Source video driver). Those who are using nVidia cards are advised to use nVidia blob binary drivers.
Keep updated with the latest posts, be a part of over 1,000 subscribers! : Subscribe to your email
You might also want to read...
- No Official pre-press Ubuntu 13.04 CD/DVD will be distributed by Canonical
- Get updated Debian applications with Backports
- Solving choppy and distorted sound while playing back video on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
- Things that I do after installing Ubuntu (with Unity)
- Mastering Unity keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu Natty
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin Latest New Features
- CPU and Memory monitor on Ubuntu Panel and Unity on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal