This post will show you how to play old DOS games using DOSBox emulator under GNU/Linux operating system. This post assumes that you’re:
- Familiar with DOS and Linux command shell
- Have a DOS game on-hand to test the emulator
- Already installed DOSBox in Linux Operating system
Things to look for
- Make sure you’ve mount the right directory before playing the game
- Determine the correct binary to execute the game (usually starts with *.exe, *.com or *.bat)
- If your game doesn’t run, then refer to DOSBox Game Compatibility List
- Ensure that your game is designed to run under DOS environment
Where can I find old DOS games ?
You can find those games on the internet by googling for “Abandon games”, “Abandonware” or “old dos games download”, just use your imagination :p. Be warned that most of these games are copyrighted and probably illegal to download in your country.
I want to run DOSBox in Windows XP
The please refer here for DOSBox Windows XP howto.
p/s: The game I use on the demo was Golden Axe, an arcade game that I use to play when I was in primary school on my dad’s 386SX. I still remembers its password (3 upper right – brute, 3 upper left – ibm)
[tags]dos,dosbox,emulator,games,linux,ubuntu,feisty fawn,fiesty, arcade[/tags]
Keep updated with the latest posts, be a part of over 1,000 subscribers! : Subscribe to your email