Ever find yourself in need to share file over the network quickly, but find yourself lacking time to setup a proper NFS or samba share? Here’s a way to do this with the good old Python CLI.
- First, go to the directory that you want to share, for example ~/Desktop
- Then run this command "python -m SimpleHTTPServer"
- You may access the folder from a remote computer using any webrowser using the url – http://192.168.1.20:8000, change the ip address accordingly
You may find this technique offers limited options to share files, but its a real time saver!
Having a shared printer within a computer network is a nice thing to have. Since all computers within the network can access a remote printer to print documents. Maintenance cost is much more cheaper and easier since you only need to service only a single printer within a network.
Here’s how to enable Printer sharing with Ubuntu (or other Linux based computers) through GNOME :
At the computer with the printer
- First at the Desktop, go to System->Administration->Printing. A dialog will appear
- Go to Server Settings, and check the “Share published printers connected to this system” checkbox
- You may, optionally select “Allow users to cancel any job”
- Click Apply, and close the dialog
At the client computer(s)
- From the Desktop, go to System->Administration->Printing. A dialog will appear
- Check “Show shared printers from other systems” checkbox. Click Apply
- Repeat the first step, this time click “Refresh Printer Queues” button. You shall see the list of shared printer from the server computer
- Repeat this on other computers on the network to share the printer
That is all to it! Now you can print documents across your computer network.