Nokia has recently released the source code for its Python for S60 at Sourceforge.net. The source code is covered under Apache version 2 and Python open source license. This move will hopefully enable developers to learn and understand more about Nokia python implementations thus easing up module/extensions development.
Python for S60 SIS file and its source code and be downloaded from : Pys60 project page at Sourceforge.net
pys60, python, nokia, s60, symbian
Nokia has released Python 1.2 SDK for its S60 Symbian phones. Now python programmers can utilize their expertise in creating useful and exciting apps in mobile phones.
The Python SDK Nokia features :
* 2D Graphics, Images, and Full-screen applications
* Camera and Screenshot API
* Contacts and Calendar API
* Sound recording and playback
* Access to System info, such as IMEI number, disk space, free memory, etc.
* Rich text display (fonts, colors, styles)
* Support for Scalable UI
* Networking support for GPRS and Bluetooth
* On-device and remote Python console
* Support for native GUI widgets
* SMS sending
* Application build tool for packaging stand-alone application installers
* Compatible with all Series 60 1st and 2nd Edition devices
* Expanded key events
* Telephone dialing
* ZIP module
In order to run Python applications, you need to download Python runtime at Python for S60 page. Look for the file PythonForSeries60_for_2Ed_*.SIS (registration required). In addition, the Python for S60 SDK 1.2 is also available from the same website, sans registration.
p/s: I’m glad to hear that I can code mobile apps in python now, instead of J2ME (Java). :D