PPSPPA or Perbandanan Pengurusan Sisa Pepejal dan Pembersihan Awam is a government agency in Malaysia that uses Ubuntu in its offices. PPSPPA has branches in every state in the Peninsular, including the HQ and training center in Putrajaya, all of it runs Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system.
As such, PPSPPA only uses hardware which runs in Ubuntu, including printers, scanners and drawing tablets. Which is a good sign for vendors to start releasing their hardware drivers for open source operating systems.
Hopefully other government agency would follow suit and use free and open source operating system instead the one that requires millions RM of site license. It is not the license that concerns us, but it is the grip of monopoly of a single corporation has over governments and economy that is most concerning.
Keep updated with the latest posts, be a part of over 1,000 subscribers! : Subscribe to your email
You might also want to read...
- Office suite that suit my needs
- How to convert *.docx files (Microsoft Office 2007) online for free
- Read OpenDocument files from Mobile Phone
- How to open Microsoft OpenXML *.docx file in OpenOffice Ubuntu
- How to open Office 2007 OpenXML in OpenOffice.org
- OpenDocument is now ISO approved!
- Microsoft Office to use XML format !